This post was originally published on June 30, 2016.
Data collected by the National Association of REALTORS® revealed that the typical home stays on the market for only three weeks.
To pull ahead of the competitive sellers market, you must make an excellent first impression on potential buyers.
Here are six secrets to lock in a speedy sale.
1. Time Your Move Right
Spring and summer are the busiest home-buying seasons due to warm weather and families looking to transition smoothly before the school year. Specifically, the first half of May is the best and most profitable time to sell your home nationwide.
Unlike other markets, the price of homes during spring and summer tend to spike as more people have time to search. And with such high demand, sellers are able to cash out on the short supply during the selling on-season.
Related read:Moving? How to Avoid Common Packing Mistakes
2. Price Your Home Right
Strategically price your home to benefit both the buyer and seller. Read these tips to appropriately value your house for faster selling:
- Don’t price too high. A high initial asking price will turn away potential buyers.
- Don’t price too low. A low asking price will leave money on the table.
- Evaluate historical sales in your neighborhood. Property values of surrounding houses can affect the value of your house.
- Put yourself in the buyer’s shoes. The buyer might see value in different home amenities, such as a larger yard, new roof or updated kitchen.
Your home’s listing price should be reflective of the market and true value of the property to ensure quick selling. Pricing your home slightly under its valuation could prompt bid wars, increase bargaining power and result in more earnings.
Related read: Moving Guide, Part 1: Two Months Before Moving
3. Declutter Living Space with Self Storage
Buyers want the most for their money, so they will look for homes with the most space at the lowest prices. Storing excess furniture in a self-storage unit can eliminate clutter, safeguard your assets and help make your home appear to be more spacious and valuable to homebuyers.
Some benefits of using self-storage while you sell your home include:
- 24/7-protection of assets.
- Climate-controlled storageto protect wood and metal furniture.
- Reduction of in-house clutter for better staging.
- Storage for moving supplies (e.g., yard signs and brochures) while not in use.
- Storage for personal belongings, such as family photosor clothing.
- Disbanding clutter increases organization and open space, making your home more attractive to buyers.
Related read:Top Items to Store When Staging a Home
4. Stage Each Room
Home staging will influence buyers’ decisions and help showcase featured assets of your home. Make your house as attractive as possible by staging rooms for their intended purposes. Consider these tactics when setting up your rooms:
- Add color with decorative flower arrangements.
- Create a relaxing and inviting atmosphere with soft colors.
- Paint adjacent rooms the same color to make them appear larger.
- Properly illuminate rooms using general, task, and accent lighting.
- Tastefully group furniture in the room’s center to make them appear larger.
Additionally, rooms don’t always have an obvious role. For example, repurpose a storage room as a reading nook by positioning furniture to show how the room could be used.
Related read: 5 Rooms to Focus on When Staging a Home to Sell
5. Enhance Curb Appeal
Upon arrival, potential homebuyers will notice the front of your home first. Attract buyers by enhancing curb appeal. Determine if you can touch up any of the following:
- Exterior home (e.g., paint, removing rotted wood, replace roof or gutters)
- Fencing and security.
6. Increase Listing Visibility
Among nearly all generations of homebuyers, the first step was to browse online. Increase visibility, showcase the best photos and description of your home in every listing and attract potential buyers using these methods:
- Online listing. Increase visibility where homeowners turn to first.
- Open house. Hold open houses to accommodate buyers’ schedules.
- Print advertisement. Place listing in weekly newspapers.
- Real estate agent. Hire a professional to promote and share listing.
Are you looking to sell your home fast this summer? Learn how our conveniently located self-storage facilities can help you store away excess furniture for showing.