Living rooms are typically used to spend time with family, entertain guests and unwind. However, clutter can easily accumulate in common spaces where people are constantly filtering in and out.
By keeping comfort and organization top of mind, homeowners can reduce clutter and ensure a comfortable space to socialize and relax.
Below, we offer ways homeowners can organize and declutter their living rooms with proper staging and storage.
1. Include Storage Spaces to Reduce Clutter
- Coffee tables to house TV remotes or gaming consoles.
- Decorative baskets or ottomans to hold blankets or toys.
- Magazine racks to store reading materials.
- Stackable cubbies to display items, such as books, DVDs or decor.
2. Strategically Stage Furniture
With proper furniture staging, homeowners can make the most out of their living room space. Consider taking the following actions to maximize space, comfort and safety:
- Center furniture on a focal point, such as a television, window view or fireplace.
- Place a wastebasket to prevent trash from accumulating.
- Unify group-seating arrangements with a large floor rug.
- Clear at least 36 inches of space between furniture to accommodate foot traffic.
- Separate common areas with a sofa.
3. Consider Offsite Storage
A climate-controlled storage unit is a sensible solution if your living room is not large enough to hold excess items, such as coffee tables, rugs, televisions, gaming systems, room décor, ottomans, sofas or recliners.
To ensure furniture protection, select a storage facility that offers a variety of unit sizes to accommodate your specific needs. A 5x5 or 5x10 unit is ideal for smaller items, such as books, end tables, ottomans, chairs and room décor. However, 10x10 and 10x15 units can accommodate larger items, such as bookcases, coffee tables or loveseats.
If planning to reorganize your living room space, consider a 10x20 or 10x25 storage unit to temporarily store your living room contents. In addition to smaller items, a large unit can accommodate items, such as home entertainment systems and sofas.
Ready to declutter your living space? Work with one of our storage experts to determine the best solution for your needs.
Image Source: unsplash