Moving ranks as one of the most stressful life events. Your life is disrupted as you make adjustments to your daily routines. Plus, organizing, packing and keeping track of your belongings is a hassle. Then, once you move, you have to figure out where to put everything.
However, take away some of your stress by storing your packed-up possessions. A self-storage unit is an option that offers many benefits. It’s one less thing to think about as you go through the home buying and selling process.
Keep Your Belongings Conveniently Out of the Way
One of the hardest aspects of moving is deciding where to put everything once packed, especially if you’re still showing your current home. Self-storage units offer a convenient solution that can be temporary or long-term. Keep your stacks of boxes and excess furniture out of the way, yet accessible. The following are common situations in which a self-storage unit is most useful.
- Temporary Storage: It is common to have a gap between your closing and moving date. Or, you may be relocating to a new city for a new job. A self-storage unit is a place to store your belongings until you’re ready to move.
- Downsizing: Empty nesters moving into a smaller space may need extra storage. They store items like furniture or children’s toys and clothing that will get handed down and used again.
- Moving In Together: Newlyweds or friends moving in together can have duplicate items that won’t fit in their new space. Self-storage can keep it out of the way until you decide what to do with it.
Protection With Climate Control
Not all storage units are the same. The type of unit you select depends on the items you have to store and the time of year. You should take extra measures to protect your belongings.
Climate-controlled units are designed to keep your belongings safe from indoor and outdoor elements. They are temperature and humidity controlled to prevent sensitive items from growing mold or picking up a scent. Attics, basements or garages can’t always protect your belongings from these factors.
Some examples of items that should be stored in a climate-controlled unit include:
It’s easy to store items anywhere out of convenience, but climate-controlled units can offer both convenience and protection. Considering the safety of your things ahead of time will save you the stress of having to replace something later, or potentially losing something irreplaceable.
Look for Extra Amenities
Many self-storage companies provide convenient features and amenities to enhance your experience. Here are a few we recommend researching:
- Security Features: Look for facilities that have state-of-the-art technology, including features like 24-hour DVR surveillance, alarm systems, sophisticated locks, ample lighting and pass-code entry gates.
- Flexible Leasing Options: Depending on your situation, you may only need temporary storage. Companies that offer month-to-month options with no long-term commitments are ideal. Make sure you understand the move-out notice policies and any penalties for moving out early.
- Free Moving Truck: Certain self-storage companies offer unique features. For example, at Security Self Storage, we offer a free moving truck for moving your items to your unit (certain restrictions apply). We drive the truck to your home, wait while you load it, and then drive it back to your storage unit.
Let us help make your move less stressful. Contact Security Self Storage for a quote today!
Image Source: American Advisors Group via Flickr