Moving, whether near or far, requires sufficient planning and experienced moving and storage specialists to ensure your move goes smoothly. From packing your items to scheduling moving services, you have a lot to consider and keep track of.
In our five-week blog series, we will offer a checklist of tasks to complete during each stage of the moving process, from now until moving day.
Planning a Move
Six to eight weeks prior to moving is a great time to begin planning the details of your move. Consider the following tasks as part of the planning process:
- Make a list of items you plan on moving, items you wish to keep in a self-storage unit, and items you plan to get rid of. Consider having a garage sale or donate items to local charities to reduce the number of items being thrown away.
- If you plan on using a professional moving company, research and request estimates from several companies. After selecting your mover, discuss costs, packing procedures, timing for the move and other necessary details.
- If you are using a self-storage facility for long-term or temporary storage, begin collecting and evaluating quotes. Schedule your move-in date as soon as possible with your selected provider.
- Prepare to transfer homeowner’s, auto and any additional insurance policies through your insurance agent.
- If you are planning to do some or all of the packing, start purchasing and collecting moving and packing supplies as soon as possible, which can be purchased from your self storage or moving company. This should include boxes, bubble wrap and/or packing peanuts, packing paper, packing tape, mattress and furniture covers, and markers.
Tax Deductible Moving Expenses
Keep in mind that some moving expenses are tax deductible when the move is as a result of a change in employment or business location. So, be sure to maintain a file with important information and receipts for your moving expenses. Visit the IRS website for additional information and requirements for tax deductible moving expenses.
Check back next week for part two of our moving guide blog series, which will dive into some of the tasks to ensure your personal needs are addressed at your new home.