You want to preserve furniture items for as long as you can, but worry what might happen to them as they move out of sight, out of mind and into a storage unit.
Good news—much of the control is in your hands! How long a furniture item can be stored and remain in its current condition depends on two main factors—protection and selection:
- Item protection with the proper preservation techniques.
- Unit selection to match items with their best-fit environment.
Below find a few of our favorite posts from the Security Self Storage blog archives. Each highlights some of our best tips and tricks to protect, preserve and select as you prepare furniture items for their long-term storage stay.
Protect Furniture Pieces with Proper Preservation
Give your items a little TLC before you store. Clean pieces at start to avoid leaving residue or trapped moisture behind.
How to protect and preserve a variety of material types, including upholstery, wood, plastic, leather, wool and silk:
- Start with Clean: How to Prepare Furniture Items for Self-Storage: Detailed cleaning methods to preserve and sustain upholstery, wood and plastic pieces for long-term storage.
- 4 Steps for Long-Term Furniture Storage and Preservation: A fan favorite! Why? It contains all the tips you need to clean and prepare, move and strategically store your valued treasures.
- Couch Considerations: Reminders for Self-Storage: Let’s face it. When we think furniture, a couch is probably one of the first items that comes to mind. Bulky in nature and large in stature, these pieces can be hard to manage. Prep, clean and make moving these items a breeze with our quick tips.
Select Your Unit for Storage Success
You know what you need to store, and it’s ready for its move to a temporary home. The next step is selecting a storage facility that meets the needs of your collection.
Keep an eye out for the features and conditions your items need to remain safe and in good condition:
- How to Select the Right Storage Facility for You: So many choices—what do you decide?! Items to keep in mind as you search for the perfect unit.
- What is a Climate-Controlled Unit? What Does It Look Like?: Furniture items require environmental control to maintain quality. Climate-controlled units provide the right conditions to preserve your items.
- 4 Items That Benefit Most from Climate-Controlled Storage: Should you store furniture items with other possessions? A few of the other items that greatly benefit from a controlled storage environment.
What steps will you take to protect and preserve furniture items for long-term storage? Share in the comment section below.
Image Source: Deb Nystrom under Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic