This post was originally published on September 2, 2016.
Self-storage units are an excellent solution for individuals who don’t have enough space at home to keep all their possessions.
However, clutter in your house can easily become clutter in your storage unit without proper organization and inventory records.
Below, we provide a few organization tips to ensure you get the most out of your storage space and have convenient access to your belongings when you need them.
Organize Your Storage Unit
- Categorize your belongings by room, activity or item size. For example, group all sporting equipment together or keep living room furniture close in storage.
- Label boxes, bins and containers. Mark the contents of each storage container with words, such as “kitchenware” or “seasonal items” to avoid digging through boxes every time you need something.
- Place most frequently used items in the front.Determine which items you’ll need and then position them near the door for easy access.
- Sketch a diagram. Create a visual of your unit’s layout to help locate items faster.
- Store similar items together. Store items in the same category (seasonal, clothing or collectibles) together in designated areas.
- Utilize vertical space. Consider storing items on shelves to free up floor space.
Additionally, make sure you select an appropriate unit size to accommodate your belongings. This will ensure you have enough storage space to manage your items effectively. If you are unsure about which option is best for your needs, contact a storage provider for assistance.
Take Storage Unit Inventory
Once your items have been categorized, it’s important to take inventory of what is being stored. Keep track of your belongings on paper or with a digital spreadsheet, and be sure to record the following information upon storing:
- A description of the item.
- Item category.
- Item seasonality.
- The date of storage.
- The location of the item in storage.
Keeping tabs on this information will help you identify and retrieve items faster. This will save you time and provide convenience when it’s time to find something you need.
A self-storage unit can help individuals declutter their homes and keep belongings secure, but only if they strategically use the space provided. Make the most of your storage unit with these organization best practices.
How do you keep your storage unit organized? Share in the comment section below.
Image Source: Pixabay