If you are new to self storage, it can seem like an overwhelming undertaking. But, you don’t need to be a self-storage aficionado to tackle organizing and packing like a pro.
Below, we offer self-storage tips that will make you feel like an expert every time you approach your storage unit.
Tips For Unit Organization
For the best self-storage experience, go in with a plan. If you approach your unit trying to load miscellaneous boxes as quickly as you can, you will suffer when it’s time to retrieve or organize your items at a later date. Here are our top tips to stay organized:
- Sort by category.
- Pack boxes strategically.
- Clearly label each box.
- Take inventory.
- Place important items in an accessible spot.
- Create a pathway to walk within your unit.
Tips to Protect Your Items
- Wipe away food particles that attract pests.
- Securely close each box.
- Remove batteries from electronics.
- Wrap fragile items to avoid cracks and chips.
- Leave appliance doors slightly open.
- Wipe away any moisture.
- Choose a self-storage provider with multi-layer security.
- Analyze if any items require climate control storage.
- Purchase specialty packing materials, if needed.
Tips to Get The Most For Your Money
Get the most bang for your buck by carefully selecting a self-storage provider with great customer service, multiple unit options and additional amenities. Below are a few ways you get the most for your money:
- Use vertical space.
- Disassemble large furniture to max the cube.
- Choose the correct unit size.
- Pack smaller boxes in uniform sized boxes.
- Utilize any additional amenities such as free moving trucks or conference rooms.
- Build a relationship with your self-storage provider.
How do you get the most out of your self-storage experience? Share below.
Image Source: Unsplash