This post was originally published on September 23, 2016.
Homeowners and businesses utilize self-storage units for a variety of different reasons, such as:
- Moving from one home to the next.
- Storing excess inventory.
- Decluttering a home or apartment.
- Remodeling or adding onto a business.
Below, we outline the top five amenities to look for in a self-storage facility and why they are important.
1. Premium Security
Your item’s security should be top-of-mind for both you and your storage provider. Whether you are storing home valuables or sensitive business documents, select a facility that safeguards your assets with the following:
- 24-hour video surveillance. Cameras provide storage providers with enhanced visibility into who is coming and going at their facilities. Surveillance cameras also allow them to identify suspicious activity and notify necessary authorities.
- Ample indoor and outdoor lighting. Ensure walkways and surrounding areas are well lit to ward off intruders, and protect employees and tenants in the dark.
- Individual door alarms and locks. Security systems can dispatch emergency personnel in the case of an attempted break-in.
- Passcode protected entry gates and fenced perimeter. These measures limit facility access to employees and tenants, reducing theft and unwanted visitors.
2. Climate-Controlled Units
Many items are susceptible to damage when exposed to exceptionally hot or cold temperatures and humidity. To maintain belonging integrity, look for a self-storage facility that offers climate-controlled storage units. These units are kept at a moderate temperature and humidity level to:
- Keep wood furniture from warping.
- Prevent metal appliances from rusting.
- Protect sensitive documents, books and other paper goods from deteriorating.
- Safeguard memorabilia and home goods from damp basement conditions.
3. Conferencing Solutions
Conference rooms can help businesses and individuals increase productivity by offering an on-site location for meeting space and technology equipment. Some storage providers offer benefits, such as:
- Computer access.
- Fax machines.
- Wi-Fi connection.
They also offer an ideal location to have packages delivered during business hours.
Related read: 3 Reasons Your Business Should Budget for Self-Storage
4. Vehicle Storage
Cars, boats, RVs and trucks can take up a sizable amount of storage space when not in use. To safeguard, select a self-storage facility with units that accommodate vehicles or offer outdoor storage for larger boats, trucks and RVs.
Related read: Prepare Your Motorcycle for Self-Storage
5. Quality Customer Service
Your provider should be available to answer your questions. Select a facility staffed with employees who are able to assist you through the storing process, even after hours.
Furthermore, many homeowners and businesses use self storage when moving to a new location. Storage providers who offer exceptional customer service during the moving process can alleviate some of the stress by providing essentials, such as:
- Discounted moving supplies, including boxes and packing peanuts.
- Flexible scheduling to fit your availability.
- Free transportation of belongings to your unit from your home.
- No hidden service fees.
When considering possible storage options, understand your unique needs before selecting a facility. This guarantees your provider has the right amenities to satisfy them.
What do you think are the most important amenities when evaluating self-storage facilities? Share in the comment section below!